Recipe of the week #1
Here, in our recipe section, we bring to you our favourite recipes for using up leftover foods. Forage, corporate scavenge, bin-dive; do what-ever it takes to get the ingredients, here’s what you can do with them.
Cheats Chicken Casserole
- One vegetable stock cube
- One x-large glass of white wine
- One tin of vegetable soup (any you can get hold of will do, but lentil and vegetable is particularly good)
- 2 chopped chicken breasts
- One small white onion
- One small red onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Whatever vegetables you can get your hands on/ have left over: carrots, green beans, leaks, broccoli, courgette; anything/everything you want
- A few handfuls of coriander (or parsley if that’s all you can get hold of)
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
What to do:
- Heat a little oil in a big casserole dish (you can do this on the hob).
- Heat the onion and vegetables for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and chicken. Cook for another minute, until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in one small cup of boiling water.
- Add the soup, vegetable stock, wine, salt, pepper and chopped coriander to the casserole.
- Cook in the oven on about 180’ for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with mashed potato/jacket potato/rice/pasta/bread or eat alone as a soup.
- Put what’s left in the fridge and you’ve got an easy, tasty, healthy meal to heat up for the rest of the week.